More than $50,000 Awarded as Grand Prize Winners Selected in 14th Annual Duck® brand Stuck at Prom® Scholarship ContestMississippi Couple Takes Home $10,000 Each
AVON, Ohio (July 16, 2014) – Today, Duck® brand announces Kechantra Ward and Jeffery Patton of Senatobia, Miss., as the Grand Prize winners of the 2014 Duck® brand Stuck at Prom® Scholarship Contest, earning $10,000 each for prom night attire with some serious sticking power.
Kechantra and Jeffery impressed online voters with their Duck Tape® fashions featuring bold colors, cut-by-hand designs and even a detachable skirt! The couple explained the unique detailing was inspired by the intricate shape of antique skeleton keys and the swirling patterns that figure skaters leave on the ice. They used 28 rolls of Duck Tape® and spent 102 hours designing their one-of-a-kind prom wear. Kechantra and Jeffery will each receive a $10,000 scholarship for their efforts, and Senatobia High School, the school that hosted their prom, will receive $5,000.
The Stuck at Prom® Scholarship Contest challenges high school students in the U.S. and Canada to create and wear Duck Tape® formalwear to prom for a chance to win scholarship dollars for college. More than $50,000 was up for grabs this year! Kechantra and Jeffery received the most votes among nine other Top 10 finalist couples during a competitive online voting period that began June 10, earning the top spot out of a pool of more than 150 contest entrants.
“Since the Stuck at Prom® Scholarship Contest began, we’ve inspired more than 6,000 students to put their imaginations to work creating truly original prom wear, and we’re so proud of the amazing designs they’ve shared with us. This year’s winning couples are no exception,” said Ami DeWille, corporate trend and senior category manager, Duck Tape®, at ShurTech Brands, LLC, the company that markets the Duck® brand. “We can’t wait to see what students continue to create in the years to come.”
Ronnita Whipple and Joseph Kovac of Macon, Ga., took home the Second Place prize for their flamenco-inspired prom styles, earning $5,000 each as well as $3,000 for Central High School, the school that hosted the prom they attended. They used 90 rolls of Duck Tape® over a period of 400 hours to create their prom wear. Earning the Third Place spot, Gabrielle Farina of Pinckney, Mich., and Ryan Danko of Lakeland, Mich., designed prom attire inspired by the roaring 1920s, using 12 rolls of Duck Tape® and spending 59 hours to bring their looks to life. Gabrielle and Ryan will each receive a $3,000 scholarship, with $2,000 going to the school that hosted their prom, Pinckney Community High School.
The students in the seven remaining Top 10 couples will each receive a $500 prize, with $500 also going to the schools that hosted the proms they attended.
In addition, the following were named this year's Stuck at Prom® Honorable Mention and Singles Category winners:
- Best Purse: Michelle Kalin and Mikael Kalin, of Sherman Oaks, Calif.; attended prom at Charter High School of the Arts, entry #451
- Best Corsage: Ivanka Kosteck, of Bonita, Calif., and Jazmin Nunez, of San Diego, Calif.; attended prom at High Tech High International, entry #477
- Best Shoes: Blair McFarlane, of Fairmont Hot Springs, British Columbia, and Zac MacDonald, of Windermere, British Columbia; attended prom at David Thompson Secondary School, entry #567
- Best Tie: Katie Huszarik, of Grand Rapids, Mich., and Liam Kelley, of Lowell, Mich.; attended prom at Lowell High School, entry #429
- Best Jewelry: Megan Linard, of Baltimore, Ohio, and Lindsay Thurston, of Pickerington, Ohio; attended prom at Pickerington High School North, entry #545
- Best Prop: Shannon Stirling, of Kittanning, Pa., and Clayton Cacurak, of Ford City, Pa.; attended prom at Lenape Technical School, entry #426
- Singles Category: Ardhyn Parks of Ville Platte, La.; attended prom at Sacred Heart High School, entry #581
Each Honorable Mention winner will receive a colorful Duck Tape® Prize Pack, and the Singles Category winner will be awarded $500.
Visit StuckAtProm.com to see the entire 2014 Stuck at Prom® Scholarship Contest gallery and learn more about the winning couples. For more information about Duck Tape® and to get inspired with craft ideas and instructions, visit DuckBrand.com.
Duck Tape® is marketed by ShurTech Brands, LLC, and the Duck® brand, which offers an array of tapes, packaging supplies and home products that provide simple, imaginative and helpful solutions for a variety of tasks around the home, school and office. Visit DuckBrand.com for additional product information. And, keep up-to-date on Duck® brand news by joining our more than 5.8 million fans on Facebook® (facebook.com/ducktape), following us on Twitter® (@theduckbrand), following our boards on Pinterest® (pinterest.com/theduckbrand) or watching us on YouTube® (youtube.com/theduckbrand).